Is there any preparation prior to applying Preserva Wood? Absolutely! Clean your wood!
Simply go to homedpot.com and order Preserva Products Wood Renewer & Cleaner, a safe and effective product designed to clean and, in most cases, brighten weathered and dirty wood.
Our Renewer & Cleaner is water based & eco-friendly. Our Cleaner does not contain strong acids, corrosives, or bleach, so you and your wood will both be safe. One gallon of diluted Cleaner will clean between 200 and 400
square feet of exterior wood, depending on its condition. Four gallons of diluted Cleaner should clean approximately 1,200 square feet. The Cleaner will not clean off mold or mildew so be sure to take care of that separately prior to your cleaning project. For the best results, please review the instructions on the label before beginning your project!
Simple Steps for cleaning your project:
- Prep the wood by sweeping or brushing excess debris from the surface.
- Mask off any metal trim that might discolor when exposed to chemicals. Our Cleaner is supplied as concentrate and must be diluted before use. DO NOT use full strength! Add 3 gallons of fresh water to one gallon of Cleaner to make 4 gallons of ready-to-use product.
- Excess material can be stored in a sealed plastic container.
- Cleaner works best when applied to damp wood, best to also make any plants or vegetation around the wood damp prior to cleaning.
- Test a small area and let dry to ensure satisfaction before you clean the entire project.
- Apply to wood by using a pump sprayer, brush or roller.
- Allow Cleaner to soak into surface for 10-15 minutes. Use a soft bristle deck brush to work the
- Cleaner into wood, working in the direction of the grain.
- Rinse well using a garden hose and pressure nozzle, or use a pressure washer on a low setting to prevent damage to wood. Rinse any and all items that the cleaner may have come in contact with.
- Allow wood to dry completely (24-48 hours) then do the water drop test! Sprinkle a few droplets of water onto the clean wood. If the water soaks right in then your wood is dry and ready to absorb a quality oil based finish such as Preserva Wood.
- Now it’s time to apply your favorite Preserva Wood or Preserva Products Architect Series. Ready-Set-Stain!
For Fence only: use a pump sprayer and pre-soak the wood. Rinse off with a power washer on low pressure with a broad fan.